The Lake County Board passed an ordinance for deferred payment of property taxes as a result of hardship due to the economic fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a virus. It spreads from person-to-person primarily through droplets that enter the air when an infected person sneezes or coughs. The most common symptoms are listed below:
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle aches or pains
- Loss of taste or smell
How to Protect Yourself
Some tips and tricks to stay healthy and avoid contracting COVID-19 include the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based sanitizer
- Routinely disinfect all frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs and light switches
- Adhere to social distancing guidelines as instructed by your state and/or local government
- Wear a mask in public spaces
- Avoid touching your face as much as possible
- Sneeze and/or cough into the crease of your elbows rather than into your hands
- Avoid unnecessary gatherings of more than a handful of people with whom you do not otherwise live
What to Do in the Event of Illness
- Isolate yourself in one room of your residence to the best of your ability
- Monitor your body temperature
- Stay hydrated
- Contact your physician in the event of any concerning symptoms
- Go to the hospital if you have trouble breathing and/or a persistently high fever
Myths About COVID-19
- Consuming or applying alcohol will not help protect against COVID-19
- Herbal remedies, such as lemon or garlic, will not prevent infection
- Being young and/or healthy does not mean you are immune to COVID-19
For more information on COVID-19, please visit any of the following verified sources:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Statewide Updates for COVID-19
On Monday, March 9, 2020, the Governor’s Office issued a disaster proclamation for the state of Illinois in order to access the additional federal resources that come with that designation. These funds will be used to help prepare the state for the potential spread of the virus. Please see the Governor’s website for more information.
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020, the Department of Health and Human Services announced additional funding allotments to state and local jurisdictions to support their COVID-19 response. Per their website here, the State of Illinois is set to receive over $17 million in total.
For more Illinois updates and resources, please see the Illinois Department of Public Health website here.
On Friday, March 20, 2020, Governor J.B. Pritzker announced a shelter-in-place order for the State of Illinois until April 7, 2020.
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020, the Governor announced an extension to the shelter-in-place order, which is set to be renewed, again, on May 1, 2020.
If you want to see the Governor’s plan for reopening the state, click here.
Click here for COVID-19 information from the Lake County Health Department.
Click here for COVID-19 information from the CDC.
- You can find information about local restaurants offering pickup and delivery here.
Information on Local Grocery Stores’ Updated Hours:
Whole Foods (Deerfield)
8:00 am – 9:00 am (Seniors Only)
9:00 am – 8:00 pm
7:00 am – 8:30 pm
Jewel Osco (Highland Park)
6:00 am – 10:00 pm
Information for Businesses:
- Plan, prepare, and respond to COVID-19: Resources for Businesses and Employers
- Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations
- Tips for Essential Workers on How to Not Bring COVID-19 Home
- Consejos para Trabajadores Esenciales Para No llevar el COVID-19 a Casa
- Health Check Guidance for Employers – March 23, 2020
- Guidance for Non-Clinical Worksites During COVID-19
- Guia Para Sitios de Trabajo No Clínicos Durante COVID-19 (en Español)
- Guidance for Transportation Providers and Passengers During COVID-19
- Guidance for Critical Infrastructure Businesses During COVID-19
- Orientación para Trabajadores de Infraestructura Critica Durante el COVID-19 (Español)
- COVID-19 Template Letter for Businesses